Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Manifesto Scrapbook

Frugalism line/sentence/paragraph:
It's time to define not what I want, but what I actually need. [Michael H]

13 comments:

  1. Here are two articles you may or may not have read RE design in the recession.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/weekinreview/04cannell.html?_r=1

    http://designobserver.com/archives/entry.html?id=38886

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me this manifesto is straying from one focused on living in a recession and times of diminished wealth to one focused on accumulating a wealth of intangibles, allowing us to then pursue material wealth in a selfless, conscious, knowledgeable, healthy manner.
    I get the feeling that so many people focus all their time and energy on achieving material wealth that they forget the importance of first developing themselves into truly happy, respectful humans. We'll call this acquiring a wealth of the intangibles. Once we have these, material wealth with come naturally and we won't be left wondering why we are still unhappy after we have all the things that we are told will make us happy, a nice car, a well paying job, lots of money, a house on the water and a vacation home in hawaii.
    Once we are truly happy, knowledgeable, conscious, self aware people we can survive in times of economic ups and downs.
    This is of course my personal opinion and based on my own experiences. Some people have already figured this out and others would dismiss it. I guess I want a manifesto that will remind me of the experiences and steps that we take to be happy, comfortable and aware, in turn allowing us to purse whatever we want and be "wealthy" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. food, water, fresh air, and shelter... these are all the things that we NEED to survive. This is a time to redefine our own wealth and happiness, to appreciate the things that we have, and to not covet the things that we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a famous quote that suits our manifesto;

    “Be studious in your profession, and you will be learned. Be industrious and frugal, and you will be rich. Be sober and temperate, and you will be healthy. Be in general virtuous, and you will be happy. At least you will, by such conduct, stand the best chance for such consequences”

    - Benjamin Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frugalist facet for today:

    First there is work and trying to grow and somehow become edified and serious. And the constant reminders to be patient, be generous, be real, to remember that what I have to give is more important than what I get. And then there is beauty and craft, for inspiration and fun and comfort. And always in the mix, snaking around the legs of better structures, is the desire for something new. Right now there are these tall leather boots. Before Christmas it was a camera with a lens I couldn't live without. And the thought of sliding the card across the counter. Of casually taking incredible pictures. Of pulling on the boots and sliding into their sexy mystery, making all of it a part of me. It is obsessive, physiological, and at times, more than I can resist. But for now I have neither of these objects.

    What I do have is one older, crappier camera that helps me document; and other boots whose mystery has worn off. No casual heartstopping ability, no effortless mystery. What I've gradually learned though, is to hold the ideas and look for them in other places. Invariably, I get a version of them. If I go to Value Village a few times, I'll find some amazing, sexy thing that will be so much more exhilarating because it cost $4 instead of $400. And a darling little ceramic owl. I'll forget about the boots. And here's another one, I didn't get the camera, I got something else. My mom pulled a fast one at Christmas, pulling out all my old Royal Conservatory music, wheedling me into picking my way through stuff I haven't played in years, in front of everyone. After that I talked about it to anyone who would listen, about how much I remembered, how time pretty much went away, how magic it was. A week later, a friend offered me a piano. For free, because I'd play it and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part of our movement requires looking outside of ourselves:

    We currently forget that we are still far more ‘wealthy’ than most nations of the world - it’s time to re-evaluate our standards.
    Our aim is not in valuing wealth in the form of money or material things, but in sharing and sustaining a wealth of knowledge, resources, culture, history, and skills. We will become more self-reliant yet social - unchained to our gadgets and electronic interfaces, perhaps being forced to learn to fix or make things out of what we have, or having to negotiate new systems of bartering, for example. We will become more resourceful while consuming fewer resources. We will generate less waste while becoming healthier and more resilient.

    Would we rather try to survive the careless chaos of ‘every man for himself’, or share the mindful common wealth of ‘united we stand’? We and our surroundings are all just interdependent cells of a larger functioning organism. Why do ourselves in by sabotaging this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Less is more" — Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems all this is in response to the individualistic and materialistic society that has developed. A return back to the old ways...forging relationships in a simpler time...but with a modern twist. Keeping in mind the current concerns about the environment and using it as an added value of moving away from materialism to the new frugalism.

    The challenges that lay ahead are actually opportunities in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Break free from the jail cell of consumerism, and enjoy your freedom from financial limitations!

    I intend to use my talents as currency to barter and trade for what I need to survive.
    Anyone need business cards? laf

    ReplyDelete
  10. hah, barter! I just exchanged something from taking a set of photo shoot for a friend. That's actually a great way to save up right now.

    Manifesto in Frugality can be related to our personal and professional life. It is easier to remember what was lost, than to remember what was had. Due to the economy hardship, lots of people have lost their jobs and companies have cut budgets in the running. We all know people are aware of spending less or cutting budgets to save up or pay off debts. Aside of these, instead of being depressed and complaining about the brutal situations, we ought to adjust ourselves into a new frugal lifestyle. News was saying McDonald's had risen up its sales 7.7% worldwide in November while other food industries went into debts or bankruptcy. That tells people are hungry for cheap food (though, we are still concerned about the healthy food)nowadays. This is just one of the many examples happening in the society.

    Some might want to reject consumerism. From my own experiences, I've been tired of buying too many products and having things stacking at home. Consuming wisely will be the most important issue right now. For example, changing to some cheaper brands (you maybe can find some surprises that cheaper brands are working efficiently as well), collecting coupons or using discounts, or getting used products instead of new ones etc.

    Therefore, the manifesto I would want is to embrace and treasure what we have and own, to enjoy in living in a new frugal lifestyle that to consume less and to inspire people around to have hope, in either splendid or impoverished situation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crazy design manifesto buffet ripe to recycling, reinterpretation and remixing.

    http://www.iconeye.com/index.php?searchword=manifesto&x=0&y=0&option=com_search

    ReplyDelete
  12. whatsmineisyours.com

    A clothes swapping site.
    Pretty interesting . . . and a good example of frugalism in action!

    ReplyDelete
  13. clothes swap! now we're talking. :)

    ReplyDelete