If we are making "discursive" posters (ie one responds to the other) then one could be a positive statement about our times and the other a negative statement. IE: "everything is going to be OK" vs "we are all doomed." Together the 2 posters are kind of a portrait of our time.
Materials can be culled from newspaper headlines (Gang violence, recession, etc. I can't think of anything positive).
Or words in a hat and we pull out each word to create random headlines. Like Tristan Tzara's instructions for making a poem.
OR: Alex lets us go through all the stuff on his laptop and we make a poster all about him.
I say pick a topic that is relevant to us and to right now (in history or where we are, for example), and make it a how to.
Or pick a process we all do, like travelling through the city or something else, and represent how we do it.
I suspect that the discursive elements will come from the differences in perspective and approach.
On the other hand, this is all pretty lofty. And fashion is downright appealing on a guilty pleasure level. Working in a university, you don't get much call to represent anything fun or hedonistic.
Hey guys, sorry I will be away for the rest of the day/eve. Will check back in late tonight.
For now I'd like to say that I find the "discursive" posters an interesting idea. I wanted to share a t-shirt response to the British WWII era posters 'Keep Calm and Carry On":
all of us should just suggest something and see what happens.
ReplyDeleteIm sticking with random, maybe we all write an idea down, and we choose out of a hat.
ReplyDeleteTheme has to be chosen by end of thursday to give time to work out what to bring on saturday.
ReplyDeleteWe are inside the virtual hat....
need a first idea to get started....
A poster that represents a specific generation?
ReplyDeleteA poster representing a genre of music, movie.....
ReplyDeletea poster representing a sub-culture....
ReplyDeleteIf we are making "discursive" posters (ie one responds to the other) then one could be a positive statement about our times and the other a negative statement. IE: "everything is going to be OK" vs "we are all doomed." Together the 2 posters are kind of a portrait of our time.
ReplyDeleteMaterials can be culled from newspaper headlines (Gang violence, recession, etc. I can't think of anything positive).
Or words in a hat and we pull out each word to create random headlines. Like Tristan Tzara's instructions for making a poem.
OR:
Alex lets us go through all the stuff on his laptop and we make a poster all about him.
Todd
Alex's laptop.
ReplyDeleteor.....
Pick a decade 80's vs. 2009?
Could be major events, music, fashion, lifestyle...I don't know it's very late and I'm still sick :(
Aliza
I say pick a topic that is relevant to us and to right now (in history or where we are, for example), and make it a how to.
ReplyDeleteOr pick a process we all do, like travelling through the city or something else, and represent how we do it.
I suspect that the discursive elements will come from the differences in perspective and approach.
On the other hand, this is all pretty lofty. And fashion is downright appealing on a guilty pleasure level. Working in a university, you don't get much call to represent anything fun or hedonistic.
Jennifer
Hey guys, sorry I will be away for the rest of the day/eve. Will check back in late tonight.
ReplyDeleteFor now I'd like to say that I find the "discursive" posters an interesting idea. I wanted to share a t-shirt response to the British WWII era posters 'Keep Calm and Carry On":
poster: http://www.keepcalmandcarryon.com/products/keep-calm-and-carry-on-poster
tee:
http://www.typetees.com/product/1466/Now_panic_and_freak_out